A JD Wetherspoon pub in London has been ordered to stop making and serving food after EHOs found a cockroach infestation in the kitchen.
EHOs issued a Hygiene Emergency Prohibition Order on Baxters Court JD Wetherspoon, 282 Mare St, London EH in Hackney after they found a cockroach monitor behind the fridge full of German cockroaches in different stages of development from egg, nymph to adult.
Live cockroaches were also found in other parts of the kitchen during the day next to uncovered containers, cutlery and in the main preparation and cooking area of the kitchen posing an imminent risk to health.
Investigating EHOs from Hackney Council found no evidence in the kitchen log that staff were taking any measure to protect food and equipment from contamination from the kitchen infestation.
Other hygiene risks were posed by poor cleaning of the plate warmer and the plates inside it, failure to clean the back of the fridges and a build up of dust on the walk in fridge and filters.
The premises has been allowed to continue selling alcohol but is being monitored to ensure it does not start selling food until EHOs are satisfied there is no longer an imminent risk to health.
JD Wetherspoon was also ordered to pay council costs of £865.
Stuart Spear 19/02/2014 EHN News